Bentonite waterproof blanket
The main component of bentonite minerals is montmorillonite, which is mainly divided into two categories: sodium-based and calcium-based. The characteristics of bentonite is water expansion, generally calcium-based bentonite swells. Its expansion is only about 3 times its own volume, while sodium bentonite adsorbs five times its own weight of water when exposed to water, the volume expands to more than 15~17 times the original, the sodium bentonite is locked in the middle of two layers of geosynthetics, which plays a role in protection and reinforcement, so that GCL (on-site thick compacted clay impermeable liner) has a certain overall shear strength.
1. Compactness: sodium-based bentonite forms a high-density diaphragm under water pressure, and when the thickness is about 3mm, its water permeability is below 8×10-11 m/sec, which is equivalent to 100 times the compactness of 30cm thickness clay. It has strong self-retaining performance;
2. Permanent waterproof performance: because sodium-based bentonite is a natural inorganic material, even if it changes for a long time or the surrounding environment changes, it will not age or corrode, so the waterproof performance is long-lasting;
3. Simple construction and short construction period: Compared with other waterproof materials, the construction is relatively simple, and no heating and pasting. Simply connect and fix with bentonite powder and nails, gaskets, etc. No special inspection is required after construction, and it is easy to repair if waterproof defects are found. GCL is the shortest construction period among the existing waterproofing materials;
4. Not affected by temperature: it will not be brittle under cold climate conditions;
5. Integration of waterproof materials and objects: sodium-based bentonite has 20~28 times the expansion capacity when exposed to water, even if the concrete structure vibrates and settles, the bentonite in GCL can repair the cracks on the concrete surface within 2mm;
6. Green environmental protection: bentonite is a natural inorganic material, non-toxic and harmless to the human body. It has no special impact on the environment, and has good environmental performance.
Bentonite waterproof blankets are widely used in artificial lakes, water features, landfills, underground garages, rooftop gardens, pools, oil depots and chemical storage yards and other leakage prevention places.